Military Finance Report: USAA Career Starter Program

Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

USAA Career Starter Program

Have you heard about USAA's Career Starter loan?  It is a "signature" loan (meaning no collateral down) for officers about to graduate from a commissioning program.  The max amount of the loan is $30K and the interest rates range from .5% - 2.99% and payments are deferred for 6 months after your commissioning date.  A common question is, "Is the USAA commissioning loan a good idea?"  As always, there are two sides to a personal finance decision: the economical and the emotional.  Here are my thoughts:

This USAA Career Starter Loan is an excellent economic decision.  It's the lowest interest rate you can find on a signature loan.  When comparing a loan versus cash decision, you must use the "Rate of Return" to help guide you.  One of the smartest things you can do is to pay down any debt you currently have; i.e. other student loans, credit card debt or a car loan.  Most consumer debt ranges from 5-25%, so consolidating them into a .5-2.99% loan could save hundreds and/or thousands of dollars.  Another option is to only use enough to purchase a car which would cut the interest payment in half of what a normal car loan would have been.  Another option would be to invest in something that earns more than 2.99%.  Either way, this "cheap source of money" could be utilized very effectively.

The other side to a personal finance decision is the emotional side and the one I used to make my own decision.  I graduated Officer Training School in 2009 and in 2009 I had been debt free for 5 years and wanted to keep it like that.  I love the feeling of being debt free and it is worth more to me than some small percentages of return if I had chosen to invest it.  If I lost money investing it, I would have increased my losses because I would still owe that money back plus interest; albeit, a low interest rate.  Another emotional factor comes from those who know they can't handle debt.  If you are living paycheck to paycheck, then adding more debt, regardless of the interest rate is not a smart move.  You must know your self and your own debt/risk profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment